Wednesday, March 6, 2013

3rd Trimester - starting off with a bang!

Well things have been pretty interesting and exciting around here! Things were going so great! I had some energy, was able to do some swimming, walking. We have started getting the nursery room cleaned out so we can start setting things up. I was so excited to have President's day off - I had a lot planned! I was going to have it all emptied out so we could set up the crib - that feels like a big step. :) On Saturday that weekend I went shopping with my mom and a friend and found a few fun things. Some cute shelves, a darling little lamp that will be perfect for when we are doing late night feedings. I can't wait to get it all set up!!! Anyway, I didn't get a chance to though - because Sunday morning I came down with a cold. And spent all day Sunday and Monday and Tuesday and Wednesday in bed. :( Yuck!

I have been having heart palpitations over the last month or so. They don't seem to concerning, just a little uncomfortable. I've mentioned them to my Dr, and they didn't have much to say about it. On Wednesday I was just laying down to take a nap when I noticed I was out breath. Mike had just left and I considered calling him back. But I just breathed through it and fell asleep. The next morning around 9am I was sitting on my couch working on my laptop - not doing anything stressful or strenuous when all of the sudden I was breathing as if I had just run up a flight of stairs. It was like I couldn't get enough air in. I logged off of work and layed down to see if I just need to rest. But after about 20 min, I decided something was really going on and called the midwives I'm working with. At this point I was starting to get scared and a bit emotional. I called Mike - poor guy. By the time he got on the phone I was crying and could barley speak. I told him I was afraid and didn't know what to do. haha, poor guy. He told me he would be home right away - and it seems like he was home 5 min later. He told me our car goes pretty fast. :D 

Finally the midwife called back and after going through everything with her, she told me it would be best if we went to the ER. They aren't set up for the kinds of tests I would need. She said she could hear how out of breath I was just talking to me on the phone. And it was best to go in. We stopped at my dad's house so Mike and dad could give me a blessing, and then we went to the ER. 

They were great and got me right in. I was very impressed with the Drs and nurses, we didn't really do a lot of waiting until after the tests had been run and we had to wait for results. They did an x-ray of my chest, an EKG, and some blood tests for blood clots. They all came back just fine. They also did an ultrasound of my heart, but he said beside the fact that it was beating so fast, it was okay too. The whole time we were there my heart rate was about 130. A normal resting heart rate for me would be between 70-80. As they had ruled out anything that could be causing immeadiate danger, they sent me home with a med to steady my heart rate.

This was fine, except that the drug seemed to make Emma move less. Obviously this caused me quite a bit of concern. But the following week we had a visit with a heart dr and he assured us this is all actually fairly normal and not to worry. Emma's movements have picked up again, which makes me very happy. She has started not only kicking, but moving elbows and knees across my tummy. It really tickles when she does this. haha So other than being extra tired, and having to move slow - it doesn't seem there is any other consequence. He even told me I could exercise, which makes me happy. I'm sick of sitting around doing nothing.

Anyway, that has been our latest adventure. Oh and also I had to do a 3rd 3 hour test - YUCK! I hate those stupid tests. Anyway, I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes. Now I am tracking my blood sugars four times a day and watching what I'm eating carefully. Really - there is nothing but good there I guess - since I need to do that anyway. I'm staying positive and don't plan to let this cause any difficulties with Emma, her birth, or myself. 

My tummy seems to really have popped out in the last few weeks. I kind of enjoy that. :) Even with all the yucky that has come with being pregnant, I have still really loved it. I love feeling her move inside me. I love knowing that soon there will be a little wiggle wart for us to love, hold, teach, and learn from. I can't wait to meet this little girl. I can't wait to be a mom on the outside, and not just on the inside.

1 comment:

Jen said...

I am so glad everything is ok with you that sounds scary! I am so excited for you guys and can't wait to see pictures when your sweet little girl gets here! Congrats again :)